What's better than a slice of chocolate cake? A slice of double chocolate fudge cake with hot fudge pouring sauce, that's what! Who's in?
- 64g cup vegetable oil
- 128g cup granulated sugar
- 128g cup brown sugar (packed)
- 3 large eggs
- 64g cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 25g cup all-purpose flour
- 96g cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt*
- 128g warm water
- 100g Double Chocolate Fudge (chopped)
For the Frosting:
- 128g salted butter (at room temperature)
- 512g powdered sugar
- 64g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons whole milk, half-and-half, or cream
For the sauce:
4 cubes of Double Chocolate Fudge
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease and flour 2 9-inch round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk the oil and sugars together until combined. It will look like wet sand.
- Whisk in the eggs one at a time.
- Add the sour cream and vanilla, and whisk until combined.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt, fudge and stir until just combined. Batter will be thick.
- Stir in the warm water just until combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out with a few fudgy crumbs attached.
- Place the pans on a wire cooling rack and let cool for 20 minutes.
- Run a thin knife around the edge of each cake to loosen it from the pan, and then invert the cakes onto the rack.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
Time for the frosting!
- With an electric mixer (either hand or stand), beat butter until pale, about 3-4 minutes on medium.
- Scrape down the bowl.
- Add 3½ cups powdered sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of milk.
- Mix on low until powdered sugar and cocoa powder are incorporated.
- If the frosting is too dry, add another tablespoon of milk. If the frosting is too wet, add powdered sugar 2 tablespoons at a time until it reaches a spreadable consistency.
- Spread the frosting onto both of the cakes and layer to create a sandwich. Top with any chocolate decorations you desire to finish.
For the finishing touches, warm a few cubes of Double Chocolate Fudge up in the microwave for 20 seconds, and pour to serve. The perfect winter warmer!
We hope you love this double chocolate fudge cake as much as we do! Catch us over on Facebook, Twitter, Google + & Instagram for our latest news, lots of delicious fudge and some competitions too!